Sunday 14 April 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 14

Today's prompt is all about how the English language is weird.  Particularly the use of homophones, homographs, and homonyms. While thinking about these, I was reminded of something my high school English teacher had posted in our classroom, that used several homographs to show how silly and confusing English can be.  It became the inspiration for my poem today.

My goal was to take homographs that have two distinct pronunciations and use them in a rhyming couplet.  The homograph would be used at the end of the first line, and I tried to phrase it in such a way as to leave the reader hanging until they read the second line to know which pronunciation was used for the homograph, by seeing what word it was rhymed with.   The overall theme of physics and astronomy came naturally to me as it's something I'm passionate about.  Have fun reading, and possibly re-reading, my poem for today!


Science Fun with Homographs

Time moves forward, wrapped and wound, 
The reason for its direction not yet found. 

From super nova explosions, creation lead
To later gather in planets, first star long dead.

In space-time we create a tear
We can travel to other dimensions from there.

Circling 'round the star does wind
In the center a black hole do we find. 

The study of physics my mind entrance
In hopes of human knowledge enhance. 


Thanks for reading!
Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment