Thursday 18 April 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 18

Today's prompt is to write an elegy, but one that uses physical description to portray sadness rather than abstract ideas.  The inspiration for this poem came from my grandparents.  While I have lost many people over the years, the lost of my mom's parents saddened me the most so this poem is for them.


The passing of my grandfather left an empty space in our home. 
An empty cookie jar
Empty workshop no longer filled with metal bars and wood
Old tools abandoned
No more discussions about gears and springs and the excitement that brings. 

The passing of my grandmother left a hole in our lives.
An empty rocking chair
Empty kitchen no longer filled with smells of soup and jelly rolls
Beautiful pins abandoned
No more discussions about the heavens and how wonderful it was that I studied them. 


Thanks for reading!
Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment