Monday 15 April 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 15

Today's poetry prompt is to challenge you to write your own dramatic monologue.  I must admit this one had me stumped for most of the day.  I just could not think of a good topic to write about where I felt I could be dramatic, something worthy of a Shakespearian soliloquy. After much pondering and mind wandering I came upon the idea of writing a soliloquy poem from the perspective of a D&D cleric.  I have played many clerics in various D&D campaigns so it's something I'm personally familiar with.   I tried to think of all the really tough battles that I had been through and used that as inspiration for today's poem.  I hope you enjoy!


Ode of the Cleric

My companions and I travel the land
Helping all those we can.
For we are heroes! 
Here to save the world!

But alas there is no peace for long
For my companions again run headlong
Into the fray. 
Headless of their own lives
Not because they believe in the cause for which they fight
But because they know I am near. 
For I, the cleric,
Will tend to their wounds and aches
And return them to this mortal relm
Should they perish

For I have been blessed by the gods
The gift of healing
My friends throw caution to the wind
Risk life and limb in defense of another
Knowing the gods, through me
Will be there in defense of them. 

For who else shall guard their souls
Mend their bodies
Restore their minds.

Only I, the cleric
Blessed child of the gods
Have power of life over death
In protection of the helpless,
The weak
The innocent
The world. 


Thanks for reading!
Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment