Wednesday 3 April 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 3

Todays poetry prompt is: Today, I’d like to challenge you to similarly write something that involves a story or action that unfolds over an appreciable length of time.
This was a tricky idea at first as I tried to think of something that unfolds over enough time to give the feeling of time passing. My mind eventually wandered to an idea that I have for a novel (possibly for NaNoWriMo) that was inspired by this XKCD comic and this song by the Doubleclicks.  I've been having trouble finding the right words to write this idea as a full story, but thinking about it as a poem the words just flowed to me.  So please enjoy my poem, of sorts.


SPIRIT

I take one last look at my brother. 
Opportunity.
Another day of training finished. My last day on Earth. 
Tomorrow I will go to sleep as I blast off into space and make the long journey to Mars. 

My eyes open. I have arrived. 
Mars
The red planet. 
Terror fills me, I'm so far from home. 
I'm all alone. 
I tell myself I was made for this. I've trained all my life for this. 
But it does nothing to quell the feelings rising inside. 
My brother should be arriving on Mars any day now. The other side of this dusty world feels as far away as Earth itself. 
So close yet so far. 

I send my first message back to Earth. 
I have arrived!
Cheers of joy resound in the reply from Earth.
"It's time to begin!"

I have spent several weeks traversing this empty barren land. 
Study this rock. 
Analyse this surface.
What is the point?!
I feel useless and frustrated. Am I doing a good job?
"Keep going!" the only reply I receive from home. 

90 days of passed.
My mission goal of 90 days. I have made it!
Can I come home now?
Have a done a good job?

Today is my birthday. Or at least the anniversary of the day I arrived.
The day I was reborn on Mars. 
I quietly sing Happy Birthday to myself. 
Alone on this dusty red rock for another year. 
Brother, are you there?

How long has it been now...?  Years?
I've lost track of the days. 
Every day I study the surface of this planet.
Every day I sent my report. 
Every day I wonder if today I will be allowed to rest.  Allowed to come home.
"Keep going!" they joyfully reply. 

Yesterday a big storm hit.
I've survived many storms during my time here, but this has been the worst. 
I can't move. 
I'm stuck in the sand. 
The dust continues to cover me. It's hard to get the energy I need to continue on. 
Brother are you there?
Earth, can you hear me?
"Good job Spirit!" they call from Earth. 
They are proud of me.
Does this mean I can come home now?

Hello? Is anyone there?
It's getting dark...



Thanks for reading!

Attentea Danaxam




No comments:

Post a Comment