Thursday 2 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 2

For today's prompt the goal was to write a poem that was a self portrait in which a specific action is a metaphor for life.  Playing with the idea of Forest Gump and his "life is like a box of chocolate".  (even though that is a simile, not a metaphor)

I had a lot of trouble with this.  Especially because the action was best if it was something common and every-day.  But life isn't common and boring.  It's magical and an adventure.  Life is bravery.  I couldn't think of anything good.  But the song "Just around the river bend" from Disney's Pocahontas kept popping into my head.  I felt that it had the right idea for what I wanted to write for this prompt but still couldn't come up with any better ideas.  So instead, I took the lyrics of the song and changed them to be more of a self portrait of how I see life.  So please sing along and enjoy!


Just Around the River Bend

What I love most about sunrise is, you never know what the day will bring.
What magic or adventure might be waiting!
Even in the simple tasks a dream just may come true!
Just take a step and try to make it happen.

What's around the river bend? Waiting just around the river bend?
I look one more, colourful and glittery,
Now out the door, spreading joy so merrily,
Come to find my destiny, for me... coming for me.

Am I to be a scientist? a science outreach TV star?
Or perhaps a cosplay and a crafter?
So many things I love to do but which one do I choose? Must I pick one or can I be all of them?

Just around the river bend, waiting just around the river bend!
I look one more, Impact craters research talk,
Now out the door, Pokemon and Ingress walk.
What I'm here for, why do all my dreams extend just around the river bend, just around the river bend?

Should I take the smoothest course?
Flow along so easily.
Save myself anxiety?
Is all my dreaming at an end?

Or is my destiny still somewhere out there?  Just around the river bend!



Thanks for reading!

Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment