Tuesday 21 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 21

Hello!

The prompt for today was to write about a homemade or handmade gift.  While trying to think of something I was reminded of this little plush mouse toy that I made when I was a child.  It was part of a craft at a Girl Guides camp weekend.  At the time I thought it was really cute and though I don't remember why, I came up with this thing where I would flip up the mouse's dress and have her run back and forth crying "Tornado!".   It made some of the other girls laugh.  I still have the little mouse toy for that memory.  So today's poem is the story of Ophelia, the mouse who got caught in a tornado.  Enjoy!


In a lovely little village
lived a lovely little mouse
sewing lovely little dresses
in her lovely little house. 

The mouse is named Ophelia,
the finest seamstress in the town;
sewing suits and scarves and jackets,
and a red and white lace gown. 

One day while in her finest dress
a dark storm did approach. 
With howling winds and funnel clouds
the town it did encroach. 

Ophelia was caught unprepared,
her hands began to fumble.
Running outside to grab laundry,
she then took quiet a tumble. 

The howling winds they grabber her dress,
and tossed it side to side. 
She found her dress pulled overhead,
now gravity it defied!

"Tornado! Tornado!" she called out loud,
her screams were filled with fear!
"The storm no longer encroaches us,
It is already here!"

She ran around her open yard
moving to and fro.
Crying out, "I cannot see!
I don't know where to go!"

Long minutes of the howling winds
all she could do was wait. 
"To have my dress around my ears,
is this to be my fate?"

Eventually the winds died down
and the stormy weather stopped.
The dress around Ophelia's ears
finally it dropped.

She smoothed her hands along her dress
white lace and fabric red. 
"This has been quite the ordeal today
I will now go off to bed."















Thanks for reading!

Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment