Wednesday 8 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 8

Hello!

Today's prompt was to write a poem based on a news article.  I decided right away I wanted to stay away from anything related to the pandemic and Covid-19.   I thought astronomy would be a good topic, but nothing was coming to mind as I scrolled through current astronomy news.  Instead the inspiration came from an unexpected source.  This article about how Algae use flagella to trot, gallop and move with gaits all their own.   I got an image in my head of algea running like horses through a valley of wind and grass and then this poem flowed from that.  So as you read this I hope you see as I did a large grassy field with wind softly blowing, and single celled algea galloping in packs. 


Gallop, oh algae, run like the wind,
Your flagella pounding the ground. 
Limbs flailing madly and onward you go, 
Moving without a sound. 

But what of your brain, your nerves within?
You are but merely one cell. 
It appears that none of those matter,
Your galloping spirit it does not quell. 

Four limbs, eight, and sixteen too, 
Each with their own gait and step. 
With so many limbs and water so thick, 
The process is surely a shlep. 

Where are you going, what will you do, 
when you've galloped you way to the end. 
Your flagella pulling you onward and away, 
Your world you may one day transcend. 


Thanks for reading!

Attentea Danaxam

No comments:

Post a Comment