Friday 1 April 2022

NaPoWriMo Day 1

 Hello!

It's April so it's officially NaPoWriMo! Yay!  The prompt today to get things going was rather complex: "The idea is to write your own prose poem that, whatever title you choose to give it, is a story about the body. The poem should contain an encounter between two people, some spoken language, and at least one crisp visual image."  To be honest I had to look up what prose poetry was because I wasn't sure.  Turns out it's not as complicated as I thought, and so as I thought of an idea to meet the other requirements I found myself thinking of a memory from around the time when I learned that I was asexual.  I already knew I was demisexual, but didn't fully understand how ace I really was.  Now that I have this understanding about myself it makes this memory even more important and interesting to me because it was a rare moment where I felt a strong physical/sexual attraction to someone. I decided to use the memory as inspiration for this poem, to express my bodily feelings in that moment, to share a glimpse of what that felt like for me.  Enjoy!


Attraction

My stomach grumbles, it's lunch time. I grab my lunch bag and head for the lunch room after I quickly message my coworker friends to say that I'll be there.  Hopefully he is there.  "So how is your day going?", another coworker starts a conversation as I walk by. "It's good." I smile and keep it short as I move along. I want to get to my destination.  When I arrive there is no one there yet so I grab my favourite spot, the one that looks towards the back so that I can watch for him.  I begin to eat when I see someone approaching, their face covered by the signs on the clear Plexiglas wall, but I can see their body.  OMG their body is so hot!  Wait... why did I think that?! I never think that? What is happening to me??  I'm so attracted to them physically.  But who is that?  I can't see their face yet.  My mind races to think of my coworkers and who it might be.  It's not him.... is it? It's only a few seconds, but it feels like forever in my mind, waiting to see who has the attractive body.  They finally move close enough to enter the lunch room.  It's him!  It is him!  Butterflies explode in my stomach as they begin to flutter around everywhere inside me filling me with that awkward feeling.  Electricity courses over my skin and I can feel myself blush a bright red.  I can't let him see me like this.  I try and push the feelings down, but it's not working.  I already have feelings for him, feelings that he doesn't know about.  No one knows about.  But now I have learned he also has an attractive body as well as mind.  How did I not notice this before?  What is wrong with me?!  He smiles at me as he sits at the next table over and brings out his lunch.  I smile back, a silent communication between us.  So many words, yet so little said.  How do you say 'I think you are attractive', how do you say 'I love you', when your brain doesn't work and your insides have melted into goo? 


Thanks for reading!

Attentea

No comments:

Post a Comment