Sunday 3 April 2022

NaPoWriMo Day 3

 Hello!

Today I learned of another type of poetry.  Just when I think I know it all, NaPoWriMo says "write a poem in this style" and I learn another style to add to my poetry repertoire.  Today's prompt is to write a poem in the Spanish glosa style. It is an interesting style as it takes a quatrain from a known poem and uses that as the last line of each stanza in the poem you create.  When looking for a poem to use for this I found Dreams by Langston Hughes.  That poem was so familiar to me, I probably saw it in a book of poetry or quotes growing up and it really spoke to me.  So I used the second quatrain of that poem.  When deciding what to write about in my response to that, I found inspiration from another quatrain, this one from a song I love.  I'm not going to say the source, I'm going to see if you can figure it out because it's also woven into my poem.  ;) So here it is, my glosa poem.  Enjoy!


Adventure

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow
~Dreams by Langston Hughes

I want adventure in the great wide somewhere.
To be able to just go
See the world and all its wonders.
View a thousand sunsets
From a thousand new locations
And wake up to a new sunrise
In a place that isn't home. 
Wandering from whim to whim while I
Hold fast to dreams. 

I want it more than I can tell.
To belong to no where
To belong to no one.
I fear staying still
Getting stuck in one location
Having life shackle me down
So I can not fly away.
But my dreams, they fly on
And I am left broken and empty
For when dreams go.

And for once it might be grand to have someone understand
That while I love my life
My family, friends, and home
My heart must also wander free.
There will always be a part of me
That needs to explore
And see new sights and sounds
Moving my feet forward.
For if I am not a wanderer
Life is a barren field. 

I want so much more than they've got planned.
My own home, my own family, my own career,
I want all of those
And so much more. 
The world can also be mine, 
and I of the world.
Forever going, forever moving, 
Onto something new.
I will not settle down and let my heart become
Frozen with snow.


Thanks for reading!

Attentea

No comments:

Post a Comment