Thursday 21 April 2022

NaPoWriMo Day 21

 Hello!

Today's poetry prompt was strangely specific.  At first I didn't know what to do, but then a couple ideas started to come to me and I was able to meet the prompt.  Here is the prompt:  "This prompt asks you to write a poem in which you first recall someone you used to know closely but are no longer in touch with, then a job you used to have but no longer do, and then a piece of art that you saw once and that has stuck with you over time. Finally, close the poem with an unanswerable question."   See?  Strangely specific.  The inspiration for this poem came from an old friend that I don't talk to much anymore, but he's still very dear to my heart.  And it just so happens that I met him at a job where I no longer work, so it felt like two birds, one stone for this poem.  Enjoy!


Those Summer Days

Andromeda, my Summer Sunshine
How I long for those hot summer days again

Working at Glenrbook Day Camp
Where we first met
And shared so many laughs and tears

Dogpiles with the campers
Splashing in the creek
And tie-dye shirts on that fateful day

Driving in your mom's minivan
Bass thumping and the windows rolled down
We were the coolest together

Afternoons spent watching the fish in your backyard pond
Or playing Nintendo games for hours
It was me who got you hooked on those games again

You lost your father the night you were with me
With our friends and camp coworkers
You felt so much sorrow, I didn't know how to bring you joy

I told you years later of my feelings for you
My love for you, though not with such strong words
You didn't love me back

But a strong friendship we still shared
It has always felt fragile and tenuous, but I know it's made of stronger stuff
Like Tulips outside the Guggenheim in Bilbao

Though distance separates us
And time has put space between those summer days
My feelings for you still remain

Is it possible to unwrite someone's name from your heart?


Thanks for reading!

Attentea

No comments:

Post a Comment