Thursday 1 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 1

 Hello!

Time for the first official poem of NaPoWriMo 2021! Yay!

The prompt for today is to get outside your head and see the world in a new way.  The world can be very strange, and sometimes for poetry it's useful to see it that way.  Thinking about this prompt I am reminded of face pareidolia.  That's when our brains see faces in pattern or inanimate objects that don't actually have a face.  Things like houses, cars, even food like green peppers are well known to cause this effect.  It makes the world a strange and creepy place when you see all these faces around you.  It's something I try not to think too much about lest I get creeped out and feel like I'm always being watched and judged. 

Running with this idea I decided to use the triolet poem style that I learned last year with NaPoWriMo.  This poem style always feels very awkward to me; any poem written in this style feels uneasy or angry.  Perfect for the creepy feeling I want to convey of seeing faces all around you. 

So I hope you enjoy my poem today, and if you need to go hide under a blanket afterwards I won't judge. 


Faces

Faces everywhere watching me
The eyes unblinking, staring
The dwellings on my street and rolling down the road it's me they see
Faces everywhere watching me
Under the glare of the capsicum I want to flee
Expression so blank and uncaring
Faces everywhere watching me
The eyes unblinking, staring


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Nice first poem! I liked the background given behind it. I am interested to see what else you write. I'll admit, I allllmost turned away because I have a visceral reaction to anyone who calls themselves a princess, but I was glad I stayed to read the poem and story behind it, as it gave me pause and I was able to connect to it.
    Good luck on your poetry journey! I just published my first NaPoWriMo poem, as well. It feels good. Later!

    ReplyDelete