Tuesday 27 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 27

 Hello!

So for today's prompt I needed to pick a word from the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows.  Just scrolling through the first page I saw the word "lilo" and decided to go with it because of what it make me think of.  for reference:

lilo: n. a friendship that can lie dormant for years only to pick right back up instantly, as if no time had passed since you last saw each other. 

Reading this I immediately thought of my childhood best friend.  So I wrote this poem about us.  I kept with free-form style so that I could express my thoughts as I wanted to without worrying about the structure or rhyme.  Enjoy!


Lilo

Best friends forever
Sisters in Christ
We were inseparable
Every day at school from grade 2 until 8
There were good days and bad
Days spent playing on the hill
And days you got angry at me for not speaking my mind
You were there as I figured out who I wanted to be. 

But then the unthinkable
We chose to go to different high schools
No longer inseparable
Each finding our own way now. 
But that was not the end. 
Through church groups and piano lessons we still catch up
And share time together in our lives. 

As time ticks by and years pass
Through university we rarely speak
But when we do I feel we are kids again
Best friends in the school yard. 

Though life has lead us our separate ways
I know you will always be there.
To laugh
To love
To share my story with
Mon Amie


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment