Thursday 8 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 8

 Hello!

The prompt for today is to use the Spoon River Anthology as a reference to write your own monologue of a dead person.  The trickiest part for me was deciding who to write about.  The prompt encouraged to write about someone not famous, so I thought about my grandparents or an old school teachers, but I couldn't think of what to write.  It just wasn't coming to me.  Then I thought about fictional characters.  I've had many beloved characters die in books that I've read so why not write about one of them?  Thinking about my favourite books I came to the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson and thought of Eshonai. The words just started flowing then so here is what I created.  Enjoy!


Eshonai

In life I was a wanderer
My family wanted me to sit still
And learn the songs
Tend to the fields
Lead our people. 
But I could not. 
The horizon called me
In my travels I met the humans
Learned their ways and showed them ours
A peaceful partnership ensued
But the song of peace would not last
It turned to war.
My people crushed and cornered 
With my sister we find a new path
A new song.
One to bring us triumph!
With song and summoned storm we fight!
But my victory was not to be. 
My people have the upper hand but I am slain
My body kicked to the chasm
Left to rot away
Forgotten
Abandoned
What has become of my sister?
What has become of my people?


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment