Saturday 24 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 24

 Hello!

I had a lot of fun with today's prompt, though I admit I got it a little reversed.  The prompt was to find a factual article about an animal, then replace the animal's name with something more abstract, and use that as inspiration for a poem.  My first thought at picking an animal was a panda as they are my favourite.  Then for what to replace the animal with, I thought of something with astronomy as that's my other favourite thing.  I then remembered Asteroid 263251 Pandabear which is an asteroid that I discovered and named back when I was in university pursuing my M.Sc. So instead my poem became about pandas in space, rather than writing about asteroids on earth. lol.
For structure I decided to go with the limerick.  I've never really liked the limerick, I'm not very good at writing them.  But I want to use this NaPoWriMo to expand myself and work on my poetry skills so I decided to write this poem using a poetry style that I could use improvement in.  So here is my limerick poem about space pandas.   Enjoy!


Astro Panda

There once was a panda in space
With a helmet to cover its face
Between Jupiter and Mars
He observed the stars
While around the sun he did race. 

This panda did also rotate
Tumbling, never travelling straight
With its irregular shape
He could not escape
Nor deny that this was his fate.

The asteroid named PandaBear
Is not fuzzy for he has no hair
He is made of rocks
With a couple ice blocks
And in space he does life without air. 


Thanks for reading! 

2 comments: