Thursday 15 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 15

 Hello!

Today's poetry prompt is to think of a habit that you picked up from your parents and write about that, with a transition from them doing it to you doing it.  It took me a while to think of something.  I couldn't think of a good habit that I had picked up from them.  It's when I was thinking about my poem from yesterday that I remembered my anxiety and how when I was young my grandma told me that I came form a long line of worriers.  That "worrier" habit is something I picked up so I used that for the poem.
Free style is the structure for this poem as I didn't want this poem to feel constrained by any particular structure or form and just let the words flow.  Enjoy!


Worrier

Don't forget your rain coat
Or your lunch
And call me if anything changes. 
My mom worries over me. 

Her reminders sometimes annoying
But it shows she cares. 

You look pale, are you feeling ok?
Did you have enough to eat?

My grandma says I come from a long line of worriers
As if it's somehow in our blood. 

Are you going to be warm enough?
Do your feet stay dry in those shoes?

Yes mom. I'm fine. 

Don't forget your watch and keys
Or your lunch.
The old words repeated through me
Worry for my husband.

Don't forget to print that form
Do you need new shoes?
Let me patch that hole in your pants. 
Did you enjoy dinner?

A long line of worriers. 
Perhaps anxiety is in our blood. 



Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you've done a great job with this. I love the transition from your mum to you and bringing your grandmother in too. Absolutely seamless and it works as a unified whole.
    I couldn't think of a habit that was passed on, so I didn't write to the prompt today
    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete