Thursday 22 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 22

 Hello!

Today's prompt was a fun one.  The challenge was to write a poem that invokes a specific object as a symbol of a particular time, era, or place.  Lately my mind has been thinking about steampunk as I'm working on some cosplays from that fictional time period, and one of my favourite book series The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences is celebrating it's 20th anniversary next week.  I decided to use steampunk as the "time period" for my poem.  For those who aren't aware, steampunk takes place during our historical Victorian era, but during this time steam as become a main source of power and is used to create grand airships and other "modern day" technology but using steam instead of burring coal, gas, oil, or using our modern day batteries.  It's a unique mix of sci-fi with a retro feel. 

As for the object to represent this time period, when I think of steampunk I always think of polished metal gears, usually brass or gold. So a brass gear became the theme for my poem.  As for structure I wanted to use common meter again, because of what I mentioned in my earlier poem.  I hope you enjoy this look into steampunk. Enjoy!


The Brass Gear

The era of the polished gear
An age of invention
A time of new enlightenment
Technology with steam.

A polished brass gear gleams anew
In an automaton
While airships float up in the sky
Bright civilization.

The tinkerers and engineers
Creating inventions
To bring us into a new world
Modern yet still retro.

Victorian era England
With new techonology
Brass and steam now power the world
The era of the gear. 


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment